Father Jozef Dabrowski   – Park 76    

Here’s one from the gone file. It’s a bit long so here’s a summary.. This corner playground disappeared in 2015. It received little public use and was sold to the business next door.  It is the former site of Detroit’s Polish Seminary founded by Father Dabrowski.  The seminary moved out of Detroit in the early years of the 1900’s. Father Dabrowski finished this school to help educate the immigrants of this once heavily populated Polish neighborhood.  

In 2015, Mayor Duggan announced a new development of an urban agricultural area named Recovery Park and a reuse of the Chene-Ferry outdoor market just north of St. Aubin and Forest.  The aim is to create job opportunities for those Detroiters working to recoup their lives after addiction and other personal struggles.  In a way, the spirit of Jozef [Joseph] Dabrowski is resurrected offering opportunity to those most in need.  No eye rolling, good to be hopeful. 🙂  Thanks for reading. ag

Former location: St. Aubin and Forest

POLISH PATRIOT, DETERMINED PRIEST

Jozef (Joseph) Dabrowski [1842-1903] was born in Zoltance, Poland into a wealthy family.  As a 12 year old, he assumed much of the familial responsibility when his father passed away.

Interested in math and science, he enrolled in Warsaw University on scholarships only to be sidelined by joining the failed Polish Revolt of 1863, an uprising against Russian rule over Poland.  Afterward, he heard the call of piety and Dabrowski headed for religious life in Rome.  He was ordained as a Catholic priest in 1869.

Continue reading “Father Jozef Dabrowski   – Park 76    “