Hey – We’re gonna talk about the Nagels and the Nagles.. John and Fred. Similar pronunciation, same civic mindedness, totally different guys. Here’s the first installment. Thanks for reading. ag
In his obituary, John Conrad Nagel [1866 – 1935] was described as one of the most colorful members of Detroit politics. Born in September 1866 in Cleveland, Ohio. Travels in his younger days were along the Mississippi River for six years laboring as a cabin boy on tugs and ships. Nagel weathered storms and waited hand and foot on ship’s captains. He landed in Pensacola, Florida, became a blacksmith and migrated north to Detroit in 1892.Continue reading “John C. Nagel – Park 72”
James W. Ames was born October 12, 1864 in Louisiana – the son of Walter Ames and Clarissa Washington. He was educated at Straight College and received his medical degree from Howard University in 1894. Ames began a medical practice; later he would turn into a community problem solver.
Ames is honored with a triangular island park bordered by McGraw, Milford Street, and Vinewood Street in Detroit. The park amenities are older; however the signage and most of the fencing are still intact.
SERVING THOSE MOST IN NEED
Well respected, James Ames was considered to be among the medical elite in early Detroit. In 1918, he and 30 other black physicians purchased a three story home from Jewish diamond merchant named Charles Warren on Frederick Street in Detroit. They renovated the structure and opened a 37 bed, non-profit hospital aiding the black population of Detroit – an unserved demographic. At this time it was extremely difficult for blacks to get quality medical care and hospitalization.
The funding for Paul Dunbar Memorial Hospital came from the group’s personal pocket books, a few Detroit philanthropists, and the congregants from St. Matthew Episcopal Church. Ames became the Medical Director.
Paul Dunbar Memorial Hospital was successful and continued on to offer medical training for nurses. In the late 1920’s it moved to a larger facility near Brush and Illinois St. and was renamed Parkside Hospital. Ames was extremely active in the Detroit community. He served as the director of the Phyllis Wheatley Home for Indigent Colored Women; as a Michigan State Legislator in 1901-1902; on the Detroit Board of Health 1901-1915; and on the Wayne County Board of Supervisors for many years. He was an exalted ruler in Elks Club.
James Ames died on January 31, 1944. He is buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Detroit.